Bio Oil – Side Effects | Does this really work
BioOil (brand) contains many oils that are known to moisturize the skin and can be part of a healthy, moisturizing skin care routine. However, it cannot directly help repair the broken collagen and elastin that is the cause of stretch marks (striae distensae).
Bio Oil Ingredients
- Bio Oil contains a mixture of botanicals including Calendula officinalis flower extract (Calendula oil)
- Lavandula angustifolia oil (Lavender oil)
- Rosmarinus officinalis leaf oil (Rosemary Oil)
- Anthemis nobilis flower oil (Chamomile Oil)
- It also contains vitamins connected to skin health namely retinyl palmitate (vitamin A) and tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E).
- The oil base is made of mineral oil, triisononanoin, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, isopropyl myristate, glycine soja oil
- Helianthus annuus seed oil
- It also contains colouring and fragrances.
The following is a list of possible side effects that may occur.
- Retinyl palmitate relates to side effects like itching, burning sensation, scaling and redness.
- The botanical extracts may cause skin irritation to certain people especially those who have very sensitive skin.
- This product is not for everyone. It would be best to perform skin testing on a small area first before using Bio Oil to check for skin irritation or an allergic reaction.